Panthers split doubleheader with Morehead State

Sean Hastings, Staff Reporter

The Eastern softball team split a doubleheader with Morehead State Monday in Morehead, Ky.

The Panthers dropped the first game by a score of 4-3 on a late comeback by the Eagles, but the Panthers had a comeback of their own to end up winning 8-2.

In game one, the Panthers got on the board first scoring three runs in the top of the fourth inning.  The Panthers were able to score their runs off errors in the field by Morehead State.

Junior Katie Watson reached on an error and senior Bailey O’Dell scored. Watson went 1-2 in the game.

Fellow junior Kylie Bennett also reached on an error causing Watson and freshman Taylor Monahan to score.

Freshman Michelle Rogers was on the mound for the Panthers but would take the loss.

Rogers went six innings, giving up six runs on nine hits. She struck out one batter in her six innings of work.

In between the two games, the players got together and had a meeting junior April Markowski said.

“We actually got together as a team without the coaches and had a really good talk,” Markowski said. “I feel like that really helped us refocus and the ‘W’”

The Eagles got on the board first in the second game scoring two runs in the fourth inning.

The Panthers answered with three of their own in the top of the sixth to take a 3-2 lead.

Sophomore Amber Toenyes started the scoring in the sixth driving in O’Dell and fellow senior Hannah Cole.

Freshman Tori Johnson came in to pinch run for Toenyes and would score the game winning run for the Panthers off of a single by sophomore Hannah Rachor.

Three runs is all the Panthers needed to secure the victory, but they added five more insurance runs in the top of the seventh.

The inning was started with a double from Markowski, and Bennett was walked on four pitches.

O’Dell came up next and hit a 3-run home run, giving her eight on the year.

The scoring continued with Hannah Rachor driving in two more runs to give her three in the game.

Freshman Jessica Wireman was on the mound for the Panthers and got the win.

Wireman went all seven innings improving her record to 4-8 on the year. She let up two runs on five hits and struck out three Eagle Batters.

The win improves the Panthers season record to 8-15 and 3-4 in conference play.

The comeback-win also gives the Panthers extra confidence heading into next weekend’s first home games Markowski said.

“I actually think that was a really good win,” Markowski said. “It definitely boosted our confidence. We are all hyped now and ready to take on Murray.”

Markowski added that the win shows that they play as a team, family and they can beat anyone.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].