Skolik looks to lead with doubles success

Cody Delmendo, Staff Reporter

Junior Robert Skolik has been more than just a tennis player for Eastern men’s tennis squad so far this season.

The engineering major from Huntington, West Virginia has been a leader for younger players and one of the more consistent players the team has had this season.

Skolik is tied with freshman and doubles partner Preston Touliatos for match wins in both singles this season.

The doubles duo of Skolik and Touliatos has been the Panthers No. 1 matchup for every match this season, going 3-6, which is also their singles record.

No other Eastern doubles duo is better, although the record is below .500,

Touliatos said Skolik was the teammate he looked up to the most.

“We both have similar majors and similar playing styles so he is one person I go to a lot,” said Touliatos. “He is very smart and well educated in tennis.”

Skolik said they have really begun to understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses since the semester started.

“Preston really stepped up during our match against Michigan State and has maintained a high level since,” he said. “Not only are we playing smart but confident as well, which is helping us produce some strong doubles matches.”

Skolik got involved in tennis when he was 12-years-old and winning his first state tennis championship is his favorite sports memory.

Skolik went 10-5 overall in singles matches as a sophomore last season while playing mostly at the No. 4 position in the Panther lineup. This included a 5-3 OVC record.

Skolik went 6-9 in doubles matches with former teammate Kevin Bauman, a pair that went 4-5 in Ohio Valley Conference action.

This season Skolik has a victory in both the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 positions in singles matches, which included his last two consecutive victories against Toledo and Chicago State.

Coach Eric Stark has been a fan of Skolik since he was named Eastern’s coach.

“Rob is one of the hardest working kids I’ve seen,” Stark said. “He has come a long way from his freshman year and is playing some of his best tennis right now.”

Skolik will look to get his third consecutive victory in singles matches as well as get the Panthers on a good start in doubles with Touliatos by his side as the conference season is set to start Friday,

“I think he will only continue to get better this year and next,” Stark said. “He is great at leading by example. He has really helped Preston in doubles understand the nuances and staying composed.”

Cody Delmendo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].