Student Senate to hear budget update

Luis Martinez, Administration Editor

The Student Senate will review their plans for a GPA competition among different registered student organizations and vote on a new bill for an upcoming event.

Reginald Thedford, the student body president, said he would be providing updates on the “It’s On Us” campaign.

He said he would not be giving a presentation on sexual assault during spring break because the presentation would be too long.

The senate will also hear an update about the Student Government budget, which will be brought up in the next Apportionment Board meeting.

The board heard all proposed budgets for Student Government, the University Board, campus recreation and the board itself on Thursday.

The board will meet the week after spring break and decide on all of the proposed budgets.

The Battle of the SAC will be a competition in the student activity center where different RSOs will compete to see who has the highest GPA. The winners will be determined by the calculated mean of everyone’s GPA going into finals week.

Senator Stephen Simpson said it would be a friendly, academic competition among the organizations, and they would use the GPAs from last semester to start.

The winners of the competition will receive a pizza party funded by Student Government.

The senate will also vote on a bill tabled during its last meeting called Dinner with the Deans. The event will have the student deans come together to discuss ideas they want to implement such as a future service project or a scholarship fair.

If the bill is approved, then the event is scheduled for March 26.

The senate will go over the Lobby Day Bill, which focuses on the student action team. If no reasons against the bill are brought forth, then it will be tabled for further discussion in the meeting after spring break

The senate will be meeting at 7 p.m. in the Arcola-Tuscola Room in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Luis Martinez can be reached 581-2812 or at reached [email protected].