Eastern’s next president to be named

Luis Martinez, Administration Editor

The Board of Trustees will announce the 12th president of Eastern at 1 p.m. Monday.

Joe Dively, the chair of the presidential search committee, said the meeting agenda would be changed so the vote on the president will be the last item.

The finalists for the position are Sam Minner, David Glassman, Margaret Madden and Guiyou Huang.

A reception for the search and accreditation committees will be at 8 a.m., followed by an executive session at 11:45 a.m.

“We have talked about it and the candidate will be there,” Dively said. “However, it is not done until the final board vote on selection.”

Dively said the president-elect would not be officially recognized as the next president until the board votes on the matter.

President Bill Perry said Monday is going to be an exciting day, and people will see how Eastern is moving forward in terms of leadership.

“It’s no secret. All four candidates came to campus; everyone had a chance to interview them,” Perry said. “They all had a chance to give their feedback to the search committee.”

The meeting will be open to the public at 1 p.m. when the board will go through its agenda and vote on the president toward the end.

“After the selection of the president, the meeting will be adjourned,” Dively said. “Immediately afterwards, we will be introducing the new president in a press conference.”

The press conference will be where the president-elect will be available for questions from the media.

Afterward, the president-elect will address the general public to answer any questions.

The decision for a new president comes from Perry’s vacancy at the end of this academic year.

“We’ve got a successor person who we think will do a great job for Eastern, a person whose values really resonate with Eastern’s values,” Perry said.

The board meeting will be at 1p.m. Monday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King University Union.

Stephanie Markham contributed to this article.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].