Personal records broken at conference meet

Sean Hastings, Staff Reporter

The men and women’s swim teams swam the first two days of the Summit League Championship and are heading into the weekend in 6th and 7th place respectively.

After the two days the men are at a score of 80.0 and the University of Denver is in first with a score of 389.0 and Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis and South Dakota State University round out the top three

The women currently stand at 66.0 points and University of Denver is also in first with a score of 343.0 and IUPUI and South Dakota State University also round out the top three.

On day one, the men had a sixth place finish in the men’s 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1 minute, 34.14 seconds.

The relay team consisted of sophomore Brogan O’Doherty, freshman Matt Jacobs, freshman Ashton Pollick, and sophomore Shane Witzki.

For the women, they also got a sixth-place finish in the women’s 800-yard freestyle relay with a time of 7:57.09.

Freshman Amy Smith was the first to swim for the Panthers, with senior Nikki Peck, freshman Melissa Hepler and junior Kelsey Ferguson followed her.

Despite no first place finishes, head coach Jacqueline Michalski was happy with how they swam.

“So far we have done a great job, she said. “A lot of best times so far, we are really off to a great start.”

One swimmer that swam a lifetime best was junior Dylan Ferguson in his 200 freestyle.

Personal bests continued to come up in the second day.

Freshman Stephen Truchon got a personal best the men’s 50 freestyle preliminary, which was good enough for him to come back for finals later in the night.

Truchon swam a time of 21.32 in his finals.

Junior Kaylee Morris also swam a time in preliminaries in the women’s 50 freestyle that was good enough for her to qualify for finals at night.

Morris swam a time of 23.81 in finals and finished in seventh place.

Kelsee Ferguson was the lone Panther for the women in the 200-yard individual medley.

She swam a 2:11.16, and finished seventh in the “B” Finals.

Freshman Steve Fishman was the lone Panther for the men in the 200 IM. Fishman swam a 1:55.16 and finished seventh in the “B” Finals.

Senior captain Katie VanHootegem is happy with how the team has swam so far.

“I think as a team we have really stepped up and it’s showing in our times,” VanHootegem said. “We are dominating the deck and having positive attitudes and that is really helping us swim fast.”

She said that they are looking to swim fast and keep up the energy and just move up spots and make more finals.

The Panthers will continue swimming tomorrow morning with preliminaries at 10 a.m., and the finals will be at 5 p.m.

Tomorrow’s races will be 400 medley relay, 400 individual medley, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, and the 100 backstroke.

The times will be the same on Saturday.

The races will be 1,650 freestyle, 200 backstroke, 100 freestyle, 200 breaststroke, 200 butterfly and the 400 freestyle relay.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].