Cultures represented through worldly sounds

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

World cultures will be showcased through song, dance and musical performances for the annual Sounds of the World event at 7 p.m. Friday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Shifa Shamim, the president of association of international students, said because of the good reception from last semester’s event, the group is bringing it back for spring.

This is a first for the event; however, nothing new will be added to the event.

Shamim said the association, which is hosting the event, was planning on having a fashion show allowing students from the different counties of Nepal, Saudi Arabia, China and more strut in garb from their homes; however, the group was unable to make that happen.

Only three students representing countries in South Asia wanted to assist with the show, and because the outfits are similar, the group decided not to do the fashion show.

Ideally, 10 to 15 countries was the goal for the fashion show, Shamim said.

“It’s so good to see everyone dressed up and everyone is smiling, everyone is happy; it’s so nice to see all that,” Shamim said.

Students will be able to see nine performances during the night, including a solo-fusion and group dance from Nepal; a dance group, solo-song or dance from India; a dance group and musical performance from Saudi Arabia; and musical performances from both China and South Korea.

Shamim said because there is nothing new to this year’s event, the largest difference is the amount of performances students will be able to see as well as the possibility of cookies, iced tea and water.

One of the goals for this years’ event is to make sure it does not have any issues.

In the previous semester, there were no mic stands and members of the association had to stand and hold the mic for some of the performers.

“It was kinda awkward,” Shamim said.

Tickets to Sounds of the World are $2 at the Office of International Students and Scholars, $3 at the event itself, or for $5 students can get an Association of International Students T-shirt and ticket.

Shamim said the association is also planning a soccer event sometime in March for the international students, Tastes of the World on March 23 at the Charleston Community Church, and a fundraiser sometime in April.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].