CAA approves new business minors

Luis Martinez, Administration Editor

The Council on Academic Affairs approved two new business minors, one being management and the other operations and supply chain management, during its meeting Thursday.

The council also revised majors and minors and approved new courses to be offered next academic year.

Larry White, the assistant chair of management information systems, said the major was revised to be modernized.

“Part of what we looked to do was to revise, update the MIS curriculum,” White said. “We look for the number of possible models to do that, including a merge model where we have a single major with two concentrations.”

White said one of the concerns raised with a merge major with two concentrations was how to define it and how it would be marketed.

Four new courses were also created for the new minor, OSC 3430: Enterprise Resource Planning Systems, OSC 4700: Special Topics in Operations and Supply Chain Management, OSC 4810: Supply Chain and Logistics Management, and OSC 4820: Business Analytics and Data Mining.

The council also approved a revision to the sociology major.

Darren Hendrickson, the chair of the sociology department, said the revision would change elective requirement and major GPA calculations.

“The council approved some changes to our major back in December,” Hendrickson said. “After those changes were approved, we realized we left off a footnote that’s originally in the catalog.”

The footnote for the course said major GPA would be based on ANT

2200G and all sociology courses taken.

In the revision, students will be given the option to take up to three credit hours in an introduction to anthropology course.

The revision also states the major GPA will be based on all sociology courses, ANT 2200G, and introduction to anthropology if taken at Eastern.

The council approved a revision to the pre-law studies minor.

Karen Swenson, the pre-law coordinator, said the minor had to delete one course requirement and replace it with a new one.

“The proposed revisions to the pre-law studies minor is foretold,” Swenson said. “One is deleting a course that is no longer offered because we’ve had a faculty retire.”

The course to be deleted is PLS 3903: Gender, Public Policy and the Law, and will be replaced by a new PLS course called Legal Research and Argument.

The council members approved all the revisions and items on their agenda, and added 11 new items to be discussed next week.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581 2812 or [email protected].