Models to strut as African kings, queens

T'Nerra Butler, Staff Reporter

Students in Glamourize Ladies and Men Modeling will be strutting down the

Shaniyah Mayes, a freshman psychology major poses for the upcoming Glam show Wednesday evening.
Roberto Hodge

runway for a fashion show at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Tickets purchased online will be $6 until the day of the show, and it will cost $10 at the door. Models will be on campus with physical tickets for $7. Tickets online can be purchased from Untoldtruth.eventbrite.com.

A portion of the proceeds will be given to a charitable organization called “Feed the Models.”

Officially called “The Untold Truth: We Are Kings and Queens,” the performance will showcase African-American heritage with lively twirls down the runway.

About 40 models will be in the show.

Kendall Jackson, the GLAM president, said he is ready to unveil his creation.

“We revamped the entire show, to make the story flow,” Jackson said.

Kendall said the story of the show is being placed in Africa and will go in-depth to broadcast how the African-American heritage, and its history are being erased.

“We as a race, as African-Americans, are being separated across the world, and since the world is so big, we decided to focus on North America,” Jackson said.

New to the event is a pre-party at 5 p.m. outside of the Grand Ballroom. Students will be able to eat and take pictures without any additional charge.

“It’s time for another revolution for the black community, and I hope that our generation can stand strong and not be blind-sided by other societal norms,” Jackson said.

Ashley Martin, a junior family and consumer sciences major, said she is ready to reveal all of the wonders GLAM has been cooking up.

“We have some tricks up our sleeves that people don’t think that we can portray, so I’m ready to portray that,” Martin said.

Jackson said this organization is all about encouraging models to eat because of the many professional models in the industry suffering from eating disorders.

“No matter who you are, no matter what you do, or your differences or anything of that nature, we need to come together as a whole,” Jackson said.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].