Students should not abuse extended bar hours

Jarad Jarmon, Managing Editor

The bar hours change to 2 a.m. was one of the biggest surprises this year.

The Charleston community, excluding the student body, has always seemed to be opposed to lengthening these hours with unsubstantial evidence. 

But at last, it is available for a trail run. The important word in that sentence is trial, though.

This will only be a temporary ordinance to see if it actually will be the solution to problems such as house parties and keeping people in town.

Whether it solves any of these problems remains to be seen, but I know I do not want them to change their minds.

Closing times in this town have always frustrated me, and this felt like a step in the right direction.

To make sure we do not move backwards, and go back to 1 a.m. closing times students and Charleston residents alike need to show the city that this new move is an improvement.

I have always felt that having such early closing times was a slight against college students, who are the ones staying in these bars. This change feels like a form of acceptance of our existence in this town.

Students need to maintain a sense of responsibility in order to make this ordinance a more permanent thing. If the city saw an abundance of support for this change with little ramifications, I could see this becoming a permanent closing time for Charleston. 

Things such as longer bar hours are highly beneficial, and it needs to be maintained. The only way to do this is to maintain a level of responsibility within oneself.

I have high hopes of future lengthened bar hours in Charleston. I would hope this is just the first step to a time when the town trusts and sees benefits towards longer bar hours.

The city is on high alert to how these changes might affect how it runs, and I hope results end up positive.

We are in the dawn of a new era in Charleston history. We are in a time of truth, justice, and freedom drink in a safe environment late into the night.

An extra hour of drinking, dancing and chatting are available, and I hope it stays that way.

Who knows? The city could end up lengthening the hours even more. Then finally, the city will have gotten the bar hours of other more progressive cities.

Jarad Jarmon senior journalism major and can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].