Sonic Escape to bring classical influence to Doudna

Mace Mackiewicz, Staff Reporter

Classically trained music trio Sonic Escape will be performing at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday in the Recital Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The performance is a part of Doudna’s New and Emerging Artists series.

The musicians are graduates of the college Julliard, a private conservatory in New York. The band’s sound varies and is eclectic; some of the songs are blue grass influenced and others sound symphonic. The band has performed in major music halls across the country.

Sonic Escape is a trio of musicians: Shawn Wyckoff, who plays the flute, Maria Kaneko Millar, who plays the violin and Nan-Cheng Chen, who plays the cello.

The band members combine their classically trained music with performance art and conversation to make a unique show, according to a press release.

Dan Crews, the director of patron services at Doudna, explained how the performance was planned and put together.

“Shawn Wyckoff, the flutist with the group, initially reached out to us. He contacted the Doudna’s director Dwight Vaught and sent an EPK (electronic press kit),” Crews said. “Sonic Escape is self-managed with Wyckoff doing the booking and scheduling the group.”

Crews said Doudna took the band’s lead in preparing for the show on Saturday.

“We prepared by receiving a program and instructions from the band,” he said.

“This particular group comes from classical music and have some influence by modern pop and through Chinese and Native American music.”

Millar said she was excited to perform at Eastern.

“We’ve never played at Eastern before but are excited about our first show here,” she said.

She added that the trio would be performing around campus.

“We’ll be working with the music students and even doing a flash performance on Friday at noon at the University Union,” Millar said. “The more we get to meet the students and the community, the more meaningful the performance becomes.”

Crews said the group will be performing at different campuses soon.

“In addition to their Saturday performance, we’re taking them around to some local area schools and they’ll be exposed to their music,” he said.

Crews said the show has sold well and has sold up to 75 percent of available tickets. Tickets for the concert are $15 for general audience, $12 for seniors and $7 for students and are available at the Doudna box office or their website.

Mace Mackiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].