Track and Field heads to U of I

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

Men and women’s track and field teams are both back in action at the Illinois Intercollegiate after being off for almost six weeks.

Competing in this meet is Bradley, Butler, Loyola, Southeast Missouri State, St. Louis, Western Illinois and the women teams of Ball State and Northern Illinois. Head coach Tom Akers gave the athletes workouts for the long break.

“Basically some stuff to keep them at the same level they were at when they left,” he said. “Short sprint group had different stuff compared to the long sprinters compared to the middle distance group. Just to keep up a good workout regiment not only in the weight room but also with running and conditioning. From what I’ve seen so far since them coming back they did a pretty good job.”

The 200-meter race for the men will feature two runners who are ranked in the top ten. Junior Calvin Edwards from Eastern Illinois is ranked fifth with his time of 21.28 seconds at the EIU Early Bird on December 5th.

Senior Brandon Stryganek from the University of Illinois is ranked seventh with his time of 21.31 seconds at the Border Battle meet that was last weekend.

Akers thought the athletes look good so far this week from a conditioning standpoint.

“I don’t think they looked any worse off then what they normally do after normal workouts, it’s so far so good I’ve been pretty pleased,” he said. “The true test of what they did over break will probably show this weekend and so we’ll see how they perform.”

Senior Bryce Basting from Illinois is ranked second in the mile run with his time of 4:03.97 seconds that he set at the Border Battle meet last weekend.

Senior Alyssa Schneider also from Illinois is ranked second in the mile for the women’s team with her time of 4:48.24 seconds, which she also set at the Border Battle meet.

The 4×400 relay for men will have number 23rd ranked Loyola against number 37th ranked Illinois. For the distance medley for men, Southeast Missouri will have the number 45th ranked team.

The indoor pentathlon will feature junior Megan McGlone who is ranked 18th right now. For the weight throw junior Kayla Gutierrez from Southeast Missouri and senior Alison Szykowny from Loyola are both ranked in the top 40.  Senior Davis Franker from Illinois is ranked 13th for the men.

Sophomore Chris Martin is ranked fourth in the triple jump from SE Missouri. Jasmine Brown from Western Illinois is ranked in top 50 for the triple jump.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].