Men’s Tennis has higher expectations for this season.

Cody Delmendo, Staff Reporter

Eastern men’s tennis is on the rise, at least that’s what Head Coach Eric Stark said as he heads into the spring season starting in less than a week.

“I have high expectations for this team this year and moving forward,” Stark said.

Eastern had its best season in five years last spring finishing with a 7-10 overall record and 4-5 in conference play, which included an Ohio Valley Conference Tournament appearance against Austin Peay.

Even though the Panthers took the loss against the Governors to finish the season, it was their first OVC tournament appearance since 2009.

“We are changing our expectations from trying to get into the OVC Tournament to looking to compete for a title,” Stark said.

The second-year coach said that depth is the team’s strength this season. He said they can go nine deep if need be, which includes four freshman and one sophomore on the roster.

“There isn’t one player that sticks out the most,” he said. “This is one of the deepest teams we have had. We go a legit nine deep this year so it makes for great team competition in practices. This isn’t an individual sport, we need all nine guys this year to contribute to be successful.

Working on pattern play for singles matches, new formations and getting new doubles teams comfortable playing with each other in matches was the summary of the fall semester workouts.

“I’m never content or complacent with where I am or where the team is at,” Stark said. Everybody on this team will have some sort of adversity this year, and it’s how we respond is going to be the difference on how successful we will be.”

With five out of the nine players being underclassmen, that leaves senior David Constantinescu and three juniors to bring the leadership, but Stark said it doesn’t matter.

He mentioned that leadership isn’t measured by what class you are but does look for his juniors and seniors to be the most vocal out of the squad.

“We hold everyone accountable to a high standard,” he said.

The current roster upperclassmen have totaled 56 wins to 40 losses in doubles matches while they struggled in singles matches going 40-62 since they were freshman.

“We do have a young team,” Stark said. “At times we need the juniors and seniors to take more of a vocal influence, but I don’t see players as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors.”

The four freshmen include twins Grant and Trent Reiman from Morton, Ill., Preston Touliatos and Jared Woodson.

“I think the four freshmen have done a great job so far,” Stark said. “I look forward to seeing how much energy they bring into the conference season.”

The Panthers open the season against Purdue in West Layfayette, Ind. next Monday, Jan. 19. Last season, the Boilermakers went 15-8 and 7-5 in the Big Ten Conference.

Cody Delmendo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].