Students to lie in street for police brutality protest

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Students will march from the Doudna steps to Lincoln Street and have a die-in demonstration in honor of those who have been killed by police brutality or racism at 6 p.m. Friday.

Akeem Forbes, the coordinator of the march, said the march is to raise awareness of racial profiling happening around the nation.

He said all minority organizations are welcome and encouraged to join the march, and though the issue deals primary with African-Americans, it affects everyone.

“It takes more than black or African-Americans to make a change,” Forbes said. “There are others that are considered minorities, it’s an everyone (issue).”

Forbes said the demonstration, which is formally called “The Movement…continued” as a sort of spinoff from Black Student Union’s earlier Movement, will have two phases.

The first will allow students to meet at the Doudna steps where they will be able to give speeches and speak out about the injustices African-Americans have gone through.

Then, students will march to Lincoln Street to organize their die-in.

Participants will all lie on the ground for 17 minutes — one minute for each of the 17 deaths due to police brutality in the past year, Forbes said.

“There has been this cry for action,” Forbes said.

Not only will the students march, they are all asked to wear black in solidarity for a united front as well as hold signs, chant and pray.

Forbes said his goal is for everyone participating to actually lie in the street doing the die-in, but he is not entirely sure if everyone will be up for the occasion.

Forbes said students still need to do more work and take more initiative to talk about the issues, but beyond the talking, action needs to follow.

“We remain in the cycle of being reactive,” Forbes said.

Forbes said letting everyone know what has been going on in Ferguson, Mo is important, and those who are participating in the march support justice.

Forbes said these marches help those who may be ignorant to the overall issue of police brutality and show racism is still in the world.

America has a lot of growing to do when it comes to the basis of racism, he said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].