Column: Believe it or not, money buys happiness

Cayla Maurer, Staff Reporter

Yesterday I was talking with a friend about how much money I have in my bank account (it’s less than $5) and she said “well, that’s OK because money can’t buy you happiness.”

I looked at her and started laughing. Not just laughing, hysterically laughing to the point of tears. I wasn’t laughing at her personally, I was laughing at the fact that she actually believed what she said. (Sorry, Emma!)

As a 23-year-old college student that has four jobs and who personally pays for all her bills, tuition, drinks on the weekend and every over-priced Starbucks drink, I would argue that money can buy you happiness. If I had money (any dollar amount really) I would be happier.

Now, you must be thinking ‘this girl is a money-hungry brat that needs to stop whining,’ but give me a minute to explain. At this point in my life, money could fix almost 90 percent of my problems and give me opportunities to do more things.

If I had $5,000 right now I could pay off my bills, fix my car, get that new cat scratch post my cat wants, pay rent, buy drinks for my friends this weekend AND put some money toward paying off my ungodly amount of student loans.

I know the cat toy and drinks are extra, but the fun that my cat, Apple, would get from playing with it would make my heart so happy. The drinks would get my friends drunk and let’s be honest, that’s better than anything in the world.

The reason why money does buy happiness is because once you have money, you don’t worry about money anymore. Money is everything in this world. Money is food. Money is gas. Money is a jet ski. Money is beer. You have to have money to get most things in this world. And if I had more money I’m sure you would see me smiling more and look less stressed. I wouldn’t be pissed about having to spend $100 on a new tire for my car or about dropping a 50 spot on gas to get from point A to B.

Bottom line: money can buy me the things I need/want to be happy.

So, the next time someone says ‘money can’t buy you happiness,’ I will look them dead in the eye and say ‘you’re wrong.’

Sorry not sorry.

Cayla Maurer is a senior journalism major and can be reached at 581-2812

or [email protected].