Students to learn the right price of health

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Students will have the opportunity to “come on down,” as the annual health fair kicks off Wednesday, and will be themed from the game show “The Price is Right.”

Sponsored by Health Services, Health Education and Resource Center and University Housing and Dining, The Price is Right With Good Health fair will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Amanda Harvey, the assistant director for health education and promotion, said there would be more than 70 exhibitors including: taste testing, free flu shots, blood drive, door-prizes and give-a-ways.

Harvey said each year students pick a theme for the health fair and then their marketing efforts encompass the specific theme. She added there are times when exhibitors will use a theme within their tabling event; that said, there will be a variety of games and interactions at each table.

New to this year’s health fair is the option for students to taste test, which will allow participants to taste food items from specific Eastern vendors. There are nine exhibitors that will give out the taste testing then individuals will be asked to complete a survey giving feedback on the food tested, Harvey said.

“The main goal is to have a ‘one-stop-shop’ with resources, guidelines, recommendations and educational information related to health and wellness,” Harvey said.

Harvey said the health fair brings multiple exhibitors that can offer educational information and services related to health and wellness of faculty, staff and students. She added even community members have attended as exhibitors along with people from all over the state.

The event will give individuals an opportunity to learn and ask questions about resources available on campus, and also within the community, Harvey said.

“It allows for time to grab information on individual health and wellness, opportunities within various organizations and networking with representatives from the many different organizations,” Harvey said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].