Study abroad to educate students on traveling, cultures

Roberto Hodge, Staff Reporter

As the study abroad office continues its 15th annual International Education Week, it will be promoting international studies and different student cultures through a number of events.

The office began its promotions on Nov. 10 and will continue with various events through Friday.

Brazil Day, a graduate assistant in the study abroad office, said one of the week’s first events, which happened this past Sunday, was a “Journey Through Africa” dealing with learning about the African culture through stepping, music and clothes. She added many international students even came out to the event as well.

“It was pretty good,” Day said.

Day said the movie “Girl Rising” would be shown at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Buzzard Hall Auditorium.

Different celebrities including Alicia Keys narrate the movie and speak about girls in third-world countries.

Day said five girls are featured with different stories and the film examines their individual challenges.

“We want to teach everybody about these girls and third-world countries,” Day said.

New to this year’s week is a collaboration with the African Student Association, the 5k International Students and Scholars relay, a school supplies donation and a photo contest, Day said.

Thomas Dining Hall will also periodically change its food theme to Asian cuisine, Mexican or Italian to reflect more culture.

Day said a Summer Study Abroad Fair would be at noon Wednesday in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

She said the fair is a way of educating students on what to expect when studying abroad. She said common questions such as classes, language and culture would be addressed.

Closing the week will be an International Expo at noon Thursday in the Bridge Lounge of the Union.

The expo will allow students to observe information about different countries with other students dressed in clothes from foreign nations, Day said.

Day said the goal is to get students participating in study abroad and to learn about it.

She said through the week students will be allowed to learn about integration through promoting diversity.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].