UPD to discuss safe partying rules at “mocktail” party

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

The Omega Psi Phi fraternity will host a mocktail party, which will be broken up 30 minutes in by the University Police Department in order to discuss safe partying and rules at 7:30 p.m. in the Taylor Hall basement Monday.

Brandon Byers, the president of Omega Psi Phi, said when the police “bust” the party they will inform everyone of their rights and rules when it comes to partying and why they end some parties.

Byers said one of the reasons the event is being put together is because of some issues students have been having with getting their parties ended by officers. He added this event is a way to bring the students and officers together.

“You have to build a relationship,” he said.

It is also a way for students who throw parties to understand why the officers do what they do and vice-versa.

“We don’t want anyone to think that they’re being personally targeted,” Byers said.

This is the first time his chapter is putting together an event like this after its 18-year absence. The event came from an inspiration after having a conversation with a judge and a policeman, Byers said.

“Not only is our community dealing with it, but (it’s) everywhere,” Byers said.

Byers said the goal is to raise awareness of the laws when it comes to parties and social events; he said the officers are protectors of the Eastern-Charleston community as well as the students.

If students do not interact with police forming a relationship, things could be seen as a personal attack with no sympathetic view on either side of the spectrum, Byers said.

“Once you have that sympathetic view, it’s easier to understand where each party is coming from,” Byers said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].