Kangaroos ready for season opener

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Missouri-Kansas City women’s basketball team will be heading into hostile territory as it faces Eastern at 2 p.m. Saturday in Lantz Arena.

The Kangaroos defeated the Panthers last season 69-62 in Kansas City, Mo., and went on to win their next three out of four games and finished with an 11-19 record overall.

The win last season against the Panthers was the Kangaroos’ first win last season. Previously the Kangaroos lost the first six games of the season.

They also lost in the first round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament to Seattle University last season.

The Kangaroos, like the Panthers will be sporting a new-looking roster this season as they lost both of their top scorers in Eilise O’Connor and Kim Nezianya.

Those two players averaged 21.4 and 16.7 points, respectively.

With both teams being different, Kangaroo coach Marsha Frese knows that last year’s result will have no effect on what will happen on Saturday.

“Last year was last year,” she said. “Both teams are completely different than they were a season ago. Besides having a very talented player in Oroszova, and some experience coming back from Erica Brown and Arnisha Thomas, coach Black does a phenomenal job recruiting, so I know the new additions to her program are quality players in their own right.”

The Kangaroos are bringing back three of their starters in Calli White, Taylor Leathers and Grace Mitchell.

None of those players averaged over 10 points per game, but White was the closest in averaging 9.9 points per game.

In their 62-41 win over Missouri S&T in an exhibition game, the Kanagroos held the Miners to 27.9 percent shooting from the field and 0-of-12 from 3-point range.

The Kangaroos found their scoring from freshman Pagie Husa and Aries Washington, who both scored double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

With their first game being on the road, Frese said her team is just excited to play someone other than their scout team.

“I am not sure our team is experienced enough to feel much of a difference between a home game, or a road game,” she said. “They are excited about riding in a bus and having snacks on the road. As for winning games, wins are wins. And none are more or less important than the other 29 we play this season.”

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].