Students to embrace inner celebraties in lip-syncing contest

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

The country’s most popular musicians will be making a one-night only appearance at 7th St. Underground for the first lip-synching event titled “Vegas” Nov. 12.

Vegas will take place at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12 at 7th St. Underground in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.  The event is free of charge.

Tylen Elliott, UB Mainstage coordinator, said performers who have auditioned will be impersonating celebrities, singers and dancers, living or dead.

Those that perform will have the chance to receive prizes if their impression of a popular celebrity impresses the judges and audience.

“They will be judged on different categories such as costume and impersonation,” Elliott said.

The winner of the competition will receive a $300 grand prize.

Elliott said creating the event ftom scratch has caused him to face some challenges.

“It’s been a busy process, but it’s been a lot of fun to use a lot of creativity to come up with this event.”

Elliott was inspired by family memories to produce the new lip-synching contest.

“My family and I used to go to a show back home that would be put on every year where people would impersonate celebrities,” Elliott said.  “It was like a concert, but they were all just impersonations.”

Elliott noted he has seen students appear to be excited for the new event.

“I’ve gotten a lot of interest in the event, so I’m very happy about it,” Elliott said.  “We’ve gotten a lot of feedback about the cutouts in the dining halls and the food court, and people will take pictures with them.”

Samantha Middendorf can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]