Eastern volleyball splits weekend road trip

Blake Nash, Staff Reporter

The Eastern volleyball team finished its latest road trip, with a victory over Austin Peay on Friday, and a loss to the Ohio Valley Conference leading Murray State on Saturday.

The Panthers defeated the Governors in four sets, losing only the third set, 29-27, but were victorious in the three other sets 25-20, 25-16 and 25-20.

At Austin Peay, setter Marah Bradbury secured her 29th career double-double, with 40 assists and 10 digs, along with seven kills. Fellow junior Stephanie Wallace also recorded double-digits in digs, lead the team with 16, while defensive specialist Dakota Springer tallied nine digs for the Panthers.

Offensively, juniors Chelsea Lee and Abby Saalfrank continued their stretch of solid play, pacing all players with 15 and 11 kills, to go along with four kills apiece. Freshman Ally Hueston also secured seven kills, along with two digs and two service aces. Senior Kelsey Roggemann led the Panthers at the next with six blocks.

Austin Peay’s Sammie Ebright was the lone player with double-digit kills as she nailed 12, while junior setter Aubrey Marsellis also posted a 40-assist, 17-dig duo-duo for the Governors. April Adams led the Governors with three aces.

As a team, the Panthers dominated the attack game over the previously hot-hitting Governors with a .230-to-.106 advantage, which included holding Austin Peay to a negative .029 in the second frame.

Saturday’s match with Murray State players score double-digit kills. Taylor Olden led the squad with 15 kills, was followed by Kristen Besselsen and Alyssa Lelm, who scored 13 and 11 kills, respectively.

Besselsen also added 19 digs for a double-double.

As for Eastern, Lee once again recorded another double-digit kill performance, with 13 kills and three blocks. She was the lone Eastern attacker to nab double-digit kills.

Freshman Allie Hueston chipped in a seven kill performance in the loss, while also setting a new career-high in blocks with eight. Fellow freshman Maria Brown upped 14 Racer attacks (digs) and also finished with nine kills.

Wallace led all players on the court in back row defense as she secured 20 digs, while senior Kelsey Brooke added 12 of her own and led all Panthers behind the service line with a pair of aces.

Eastern’s attack struggled throughout the match, and resulted in a .086 scoring average, which is the second lowest total of the season.

The Panthers return home to play Southeast Missouri at 7 p.m. Friday at Lantz Arena.

Blake Nash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]