Annual race to kick off weekend

Sharita Harris, Staff Reporter

The 15th annual 2.5K Homecoming Race will be at 9 a.m. Saturday beginning at the corner of 7th Street and Lincoln Ave.

Run, walk and wheelchair participants of all ages will make their way north on 7th Street to the Charleston Square and end the race at Old Main.

Participants will have a $10 entry fee.

All funds will go to the student association for recreation and the Rho Phi Lambda honors society.

Michael Mulvaney, the project co-director and Rho Phi Lambda faculty advisor said the aim is to encourage student involvement.

“Our goal is not just to generate funds for our student organizations,” Mulvaney said. “We also want to provide outreach and educational experiences for our students while positively contributing to the quality of life within the community.”

He said he hopes students will find the race to be a valuable integrative learning experience for undergraduate students majoring in recreation administration.

Co-sponsors of the race include student life, campus recreation, McDonald’s, and the Shirt Factory.

The top male and female participants in each of the three categories, which are walk, run and wheelchair, will receive an award.

Mulvaney said an award will also be given to the participant with the best full-body costume.

He said a variety of prizes, food and drinks will also be provided to all racers.

Those interested can register through the Homecoming website or register the day of the race from 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. in the Old Main lobby.

Sharita Harris can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].