Panthers host Green Bay

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men’s soccer team and Green Bay both hope to end their losing streaks, when they face each other at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Lakeside Field.

The Phoenix is 3-8-3 this year and has a 1-4-2 record on the road. They are currently on a five-game losing streak and have not recorded a goal during the losing streak.

Green Bay has not won since Sept. 12, when it beat Viterbo University 8-0. The Phoenix did beat Western Illinois on the road this year, which Eastern lost to 1-0 last Saturday. Western is the top team in the Summit League right now.

Eastern has struggled to score goals as of late, netting just two goals in the last six games. Their last win came on Sept. 8, when the Panthers defeated Culver-Stockton 5-1. Since then they have had seven losses and one tie.

The Phoenix top scorer is sophomore Audi Jepson, who has nine goals and three assist with a total of 21 points. The next leading scorer for Green Bay is junior Faycal Oulahbib with three goals and an assist. He has seven points so far on the year.

Goalkeeper Dani Alvarado has played in 12 games this season for Green Bay and has a 2-6-3 record. The junior has 17 goals against and 46 saves giving him a 1.42 goals against average. Sophomore Kyle Ihn has also had some time in net. Ihn has played in four games and has 1-2 record.

Eastern tied Green Bay 4-4 last year, but Eastern leads the all time series 12-6-3. Green Bay is 3-4-2 in non-conference play, while Eastern is 2-6. Eastern has a 2-2-1 record at home.

Freshman goalkeeper Mike Novotny has continued to have good performances for Eastern, but has a 1-7 record. Novotny has a goals against average of 1.54 and is tied for fourth in the Summit League in saves with 36. He has given up a total of 15 goals in 10 games.

Senior captain Jake Brillhart and freshman Dominic Recca are Eastern’s top goal scorers with three goals each. Brillhart has three assists and nine points and Recca has two assists with eight points.

Western, Denver, Fort Wayne and Omaha are the top four teams in the Summit League at this point in the season. Eastern will have to win its last two conference games against Fort Wayne and Oral Roberts to have any chance of reaching the conference tournament this year.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].