International students to showcase ‘Sounds of the World’

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Sunrose Maskey has danced for the president and prime minister of Nepal and India, and will now bring his talents — along with others — to Eastern to celebrate “Sounds of the World.”

Students will be able to experience culture and dance from various parts of the world at 7 p.m. Friday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

“Sounds of the World,” which is hosted by the Association of International Students, is an annual show where students from all cultural backgrounds can perform by singing, dancing or playing a musical instrument.

Maskey, a freshman psychology major, said he will be performing to an American song with a southeastern classical dance. He said the dance is a way of unifying the cultures.

Shifa Shamim, president of the Association of International Students, said American students can, and are encouraged to, perform.

“We can learn something from their culture if they present,” Shamim said.

Shamim said the event was created three years ago and is consistently evolving and has now become a major event. She said students have enjoyed the show so much the association members are talking about having the event every semester instead of once a year.

Students from India, Nepal, China, Saudi Arabia and many other countries will present something from their culture; they are also encouraged to wear their traditional garb. Music from each represented country will be played. Their countries’ flags will be displayed as well.

Shamim said this event will give international students a chance to share and perform something from their culture, but also allow students to see a wide variety of diverse backgrounds.

“Where in Charleston can you see an Indian dance?” Shamim asked.

Tickets to “Sounds of the World,” are $2 for adults and free for children.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].