Students host forum on study habits, partying

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Members of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority will host a forum talking to students about their partying and study habits at 7 p.m. Monday in the Coleman Hall Auditorium.

Cameron Douglas, the president of Alpha Phi Alpha said, he understands students will go out to parties on occasion, but this forum is to help them with tips on how to balance that with coursework effectively.

Officially called, “Turn down, for What?,” students will be able to learn from a panel of student leaders how to effectively manage their time with studying and nightlife; however, drinking will not be a subject that we be looked at.

Jalyssa Woodall, the events planning chair for Delta Sigma Theta, said they did not want to seem as if they were promoting drinking.

“It is possible to go out and have an excellent GPA,” Woodall said.

She said the panel would ask the students if they party and then flip the script by asking them about their study habits.

With midterms around the corner, both Douglas and Woodall said knew this would be a great opportunity to inform students on how partying effects their health, image, time, future and overall education.

Resources available to students as well as where they can go for assistance such as the Writing Center and Student Success Center will be talked about.

“We want to show both sides of partying and education,” Woodall said. “As much effort you put into your partying, we want you to put that into your school work.”

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].