Softball team ends fall season at 7-1

Sean Hastings, Staff Reporter

Eastern softball coach Angie Nicholson was able to see the Panthers in action one final time before the fall season concluded over the weekend.

The Panthers hosted Illinois Central College, Wabash College and Lake Land College at Williams Field, going 3-1.

Nicholson said the team’s defense was what worked out best for them this weekend. But says that the team needs to stay more consistent, and always be a threat at the plate.

In game one the Panthers took down Illinois Central College 6-1. Junior Haylee Beck went 2-for-3 at the plate. And junior Katie Watson went 3-for-3. Junior Kylie Bennett also went 2-for-3 at the plate with both hits being home runs. She finished with three RBIs.

Senior Hannah Cole went 1-for-2 with a triple and freshman Michelle Rogers went 2-for-3 in game one.

“Cole was one last weekend who struggled at the plate and in my eyes this weekend swung the bat very aggressively,” Nicholson said.

The Panthers took down Wabash College in game two, winning 3-2.

Freshman Jessica Wireman started on the mound, going six innings, allowing two runs on five hits. Wireman also had four strikeouts and only one walk.

Rogers would come on to close the game out in the seventh inning to get the save. Rogers allowed no runs on two hits in her one inning of work.

Senior Bailey O’Dell led the way going 3-for-3 with three singes and two RBIs. With Hannah Cole scoring the other run on a wild pitch. Junior Jennette Isaac had a sacrifice bunt that put a runner in scoring position who scored on the O’Dell single.

In game one of the double header against Lake Land College on Sunday, the Panthers came away with a 5-3 victory.

The Panthers scored four out of the five runs thanks to homeruns by Bennett and Cole.

Bennett hitting a solo homerun, while going 2-for-2, and Cole hitting a three-run homerun.

In game two of the double header, the Panthers would drop their first game of the fall, with a 2-1 loss to Lake Land College.

Lake Land College tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the sixth and tacked on one more in the seventh to get the win.

Cole continued her aggressive batting in the game going 1-for-1 with a triple. Isaac went 3-for-3 in the game.

“Overall this fall was very productive for us,” Nicholson said.  She would go on to say, “This gave us a little taste of where our team is and where we need to go from here.”

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].