Women’s gold finishes in last place at SIU

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s golf team finished in last place out of seven teams in the Saluki Shootout in Carbondale during the weekend at the par-72 Hickory Ridge Golf Course.

The Panthers finished with a team total of 644, which was 28 strokes behind the sixth-place finisher Evansville.

Senior Tiffany Wolf led the Panthers with another impressive two rounds.

Wolf shot a two round total of 158 (78,80) for a second-consecutive top-20 finish for the season.

Freshman Chloe Wong finished six strokes behind Wolf, shooting a 164. Fellow freshman Hannah Magda finished 32nd overall as an individual for Eastern.

Magda shot a combined score of 167 for the two rounds.

Alex Pickens and Annie Getzin finished with a 170 and a 172, respectively for the Panthers.

The host, Southern Illinois-Carbondale, won the team title with rounds of 299 and 302 as a team. Mattie Lindner led the Salukis with rounds of a 1-under 71 and a 3-over 75 and also tied for the individual title with a two-day score of two-over par.

Lindner was also the only golfer in the tournament to shoot an under-par round.

The Salukis also had two other players in the top-10. Brook Cusamano finished fourth with scores of 76 and 73.  Kris Grimes tied for seventh with scores of 76 and 75 for the two rounds.

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville came in second place, finishing five strokes behind Carbondale.

Edwardsville shot a team total of 606 and was led by Allison Gorman.

Gorman tied Lindner for the individual medalist, with rounds of 74 and 72 for 2-over par for the tournament.

Edwardsville’s Madison Frerking tied for seventh place, with Grimes carding a 75 and 76 for the tournament.

Brittany Jostes had a consistent two rounds of 77 and finished in 11th place for the Cougars.

Rounding out the top three teams in the tournament was Indiana State, which finished with a team score of 618 for the tournament.

Gina Della Carmen came in third for the individual title and shot a 4-over 148 for the tournament for Indiana State.

Madison Uradomo finished in ninth place and had the second-best shot a 9-over 153.

Rounding out the top-five individuals was Hanna Netisingha from Southern Illinois-Carbondale.

Netisingha finished in fifth place and shot a 150, which was 75 for both rounds played.

The Eastern women will next play in the Butler Fall Invitational on Oct. 5, in Indianapolis, Ind., at the Highland Country Club.

Bob Reynolds (@BobReynoldsDEN) can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].