Golf teams to compete across the state

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern golf teams will be in action over the weekend, taking part in tournaments in both Carbondale and Chicago.

Last weekend, the men placed 14th out of 15 teams in the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville Fall Invitational, while the women placed fifth in the Western Illinois Autumn Invitational.

Eastern finished with a team score of 912 and had its best round in the first round of the tournament, shooting a score of 301.

Austin Sproles placed in the top 20 with scores of 76-73-74 for the three rounds. Daniel Hughes and Marcus Dahlin tied for 48th place with a combined round score of 229.

On Sunday, the men will compete in the Chicago State Fall Invitational at the par-72 Harborside International Golf Course. This will be a three-day tournament lasting from Sunday until Tuesday. Teams in this tournament will include St. Xavier University, Valporasio, DePaul and Wisconsin-Greenbay, among others.

Last year, the Panthers finished 4th out of five teams in this tournament and Sproles had the best score for Eastern, finishing with a two-round total of 150.

Coming into the tournament, Sproles continues to pace Eastern with his average score of 74.33.

The Eastern women will be competing in the Southern Illinois Fall Invitational on Friday and will finish up on Saturday. The Panthers will tee off at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale.

Teams included in this tournament are Evansville University, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Indiana State, among others.

Last time out, the Panthers finished in last place out of five teams at the Western Illinois Invitational.

Freshman Chloe Wong and Tiffany Wolf had top 20 finishes for the Panthers. Wong finished tied for the top ten with scores of 78 and 83 for the two rounds.

Freshman Annie Getzin placed 24th, while sophomore Alexandra Pickens and Anne Bahr placed 27th and 29th respectively. Also, Sophomore Erika Von Itter placed 33rd as an individual competitor.

Last season the Panthers placed 8th out of 10 teams in the Southern Illinois tournament, which was at Sunset Hills Country Club.

Wolf led all Panthers with a two-day score of 173, while Von Itter finished one stroke behind her.

The Panthers team score of 695 was seven points ahead of Ohio Valley Conference foe Tennessee State.

The Eastern men’s golf team will next tee-off in the DePaul Fall invitational on Oct. 3rd in Lemont while the women will next play at the Butler Fall Invitational in Indianapolis, Ind.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].