Doudna to commemorate 100-year anniversary of WWI

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

A Cornell University history professor will talk about World War I and its effects on international law at 5 p.m.  Friday in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Lecture Hall.

Remembering the one-hundred-year anniversary of the outbreak of WWI, Isabel Hull will express her views on the correlation between the two topics in her presentation of “Rethinking the First World War Through the Lens of International Law.”

According to a press release, Hull believes the war is a lesson in the significance of international law for regulating international relations in war.

“Hull challenges the long-held view that the disastrous conflict was a grand mistake, the result of increasingly radical military responses to an impossible and tragic situation,” according to the press release.

A graduate of multiple institutions, Hull received a Bachelor’s in History from the University of Michigan in 1970, a master’s in Philosophy from Yale University in 1973 and a Ph.D. in History from Yale in 1978.

Hull currently focuses her studies and teachings on the international laws of war.

Hull also has published many books including “A Scrap of Paper: Breaking and Making International Law in the First World War,” “Sexuality, State and Civil Society in Germany, 1700-1815,” “Absolute Destruction: Military Culture and the Practices of War in Imperial Germany” and “The Entourage of Kaiser Wilhelm II, 1888-1918.”

This lecture is a part of “Authenticity” Eastern’s 2014-15 Humanities Speaker Series.

The public is welcome to attend the lecture free of charge.

Samantha Middendorf can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]