Moment of silence to recognize Sept. 11

Lauren McQueen, Staff Reporter

The Military Student Assistance Center is spending the day Thursday commemorating the events that happened on Sept. 11, 2001.

The MSAC will be displaying a memorial consisting of pictures, posters, videos and stories from the terrorist attack in the Bridge Lounge of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. The memorial will be starting at 7 a.m. Thursday, and will most likely be up until Friday.

MSAC coordinator Scott Shaffer said it will be a simple program because of the fact that it is such a solemn day.

Brandi Binder, an administrative assistant for the MSAC and the coordinator of the event, said at 7:46 a.m. CST there will be a nationwide moment of silence to remember the nearly 3,000 people who died in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Shanksville, Penn. 13 years ago. The moment of silence is being held at this time because the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46 a.m. EST.

“Everyone across the nation should give a moment of silence,” Binder said.

Along with the memorial, the clock tower on the south side of Booth Library will be playing “God Bless the U.S.A.” every hour on the hour, starting at 11 a.m. and ending at 8 p.m.

In December 2001, President George W. Bush signed into law the designated Patriot Day, to take place annually on Sept. 11.

The purpose of Patriot Day is to remember, mourn and respect the people who were injured or died during the act of terrorism.

Patriot Day is not a federal holiday, but instead is a national observance.

In 2009, President Barack Obama declared the observance as a recognized National Day of Service and Remembrance.

American flags will be flown at half-staff at all U.S. government buildings across the country.

Across the nation, the event is remembered with parades, prayer vigils, special church services, and military and political events among others.

Binder said she thinks this is an event that will still be commemorated for many years in the future.

“Even if you’re not old enough to remember it, you still should know about it,” Binder said. “It’s a part of American history.”

This is the second year the MSAC has put together this memorial. Binder said being educated about the events that happened is important.

“History repeats itself,” she said.

She said she thinks the more educated people are, the less likely something similar will happen again.

At Eastern, the main purpose of the commemoration is to make people aware, Binder said.

“We have 300 some students here who have served in the military, are currently serving in the military, or are veterans’ children, so it’s a tribute to them as well,” Binder said.

The ROTC students will be participating in the moment of silence.

Binder said the ROTC is very supportive of the MSAC’s events, and the ROTC works with the MSAC on many other projects as well.

This is just one of the events the MSAC will be doing to honor the military this year.

Lauren McQueen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].