Faculty, students remember fallen Old Main oak tree

Jarad Jarmon, Associate News Editor

Like when people ride the Marty’s bar and grill bronze panther, the massive bur oak outside of Old Main had been used as a focal point for many to propose, to have a picnic and to even read under.

This is why, following the removal of the tree Aug. 8, many of the faculty as well as students have said they felt a loss.

Especially for those on the eastern side of Old Main, it has been saddening to watch the remaining limbs and trunk of the tree be ripped apart.

Paula Embry, a human resource department administrative aide, said she used to eat under the tree on her break.

“I think it was emotional for a lot of staff,” Embry said.

For others like Embry, the tree was a symbol and an icon with various meanings. Human Resources Director Richard Enyard said he thought the tree identified Eastern as it was.

“You don’t see many trees around here like that one. It was sad to see that it died on us,” Enyard said.

Enyard said he felt weird coming in the day the tree lost a major limb. He explained something just felt different or off that day.

“It left, kind of, a void. There is just a big empty space out there now,” Enyard said.

Jodi Craig, an office support associate in academic affairs, said it had always been a symbol of the campus ever since the castle.

Staff members were not the only ones to feel the impact. While students had not seen the tree for long, some thought it was still sad to see it being cut down.

Chris Johnson, a junior marketing major, said even though some may not have known how long the tree had been there, it still was a monument solely because of its size.

“Renovations will always be made though,” Johnson said.

Despite its impact on many of the staff, there was not much surprise of the tree’s eventual end.

Lee Kasey, a retired grounds crew worker who walked past the tree frequently, said it was sad to see it go, but those working on it knew the tree’s life was soon over.

“Everything has got its time and it is over,” Kasey said. “It was dying years ago.”

Before the major limb had fallen, one side of the trees leaves had died signaling the future for the tree.

Embry said the major limb sealed the tree’s fate.

“I don’t know that there was any hope for it,” Embry said.

Embry added she hopes the tree’s legacy is remembered in some way.

“I would love to see a bench or a picnic table (where it stood),” Embry said.

While pieces of the tree have been sent to the biological sciences department, the remaining salvageable pieces of the tree are being looked at to see what can be done with them.

Jarad Jarmon can be reached at [email protected].