Paper Cafe ignites student, community

The Residence Hall Association approved funding for a Housing and Dining presentation in December and assigned themes to each hall for Kids and Friends Weekend in February.

The RHA agreed to donate $175 to fund “Erasing The Distance,” which will educate the campus about mental disorders at presentations at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Dec. 5.

The Social Justice, Diversity and Community Engagement Committee of University Housing and Dining Services needed additional funding to bring the presenters to Eastern, so members of the committee called on different campus groups for help in the funding.

RHA members broke into their subcommittees to plan for the Spring 2013 semester, which contains activities such as Kids and Friends Weekend and Green Week.

RHA Vice President Amanda Krch encouraged all RHA members to begin spreading the word about Kids and Friends Weekend, which will take place from Feb. 22 to Feb. 24.

“We really need to open registration for (Kids and Friends Weekend) on Dec. 1 so we encourage everyone to tell their family and friends about it over Thanksgiving break,” Krch said.

The programming committee reported back to the group after deciding the theme for Kids and Friends Weekend, which will be “Color the World of Eastern” and will feature different colors for each residence hall.

The RHA also unanimously approved its budget for 2013, which has been under discussion for the past few weeks.

RHA Treasurer Kyle Swan reported the current budget of the RHA at $11,360.63.

In addition, the community development committee presented potential ideas for Green Week in 2013 including a dodge ball tournament, fashion show and a dance with recyclables as admission.

RHA Secretary Dawn Howe presented her ideas for RHA hoodies and jackets, which will be decided on after Thanksgiving Break.

Elizabeth Burbatt, a member of the Bond Revenue Committee, gave a report on the progress of the committee’s progress.

“We’re looking through many papers, revenues and expenses, but we want to present our findings after break,” she said.

RHA President Eddie Hillman presented in his closing remarks about Red Week, which will take place the week of Nov. 26.

Hillman encouraged the hall members to paint their windows with AIDS awareness-themed spirit.

The RHA will meet at 5 p.m. on Nov. 29 in Stevenson Hall.

Robyn Dexter can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Paper Cafe ignites student, community

Eliot Heiker, 5, of Charleston, Ill., listen to his father during “Trick or Treat” in Lantz Arena Wednesday. Eastern’s athletic teams passed out candy to the local children during the event hosted by the student community services office.

Paper Cafe ignites student, community

The left over works from the last show at Paper Cafe.

Paper Cafe ignites student, community

Walking down the sidewalk along Sixth Street, one might stare for a moment at a bright yellow house with dark green trim and the curiosities within they can only glimpse from outside.