Feature Photo: All smiles

President Barack Obama constantly gets criticized for different things he does or does not do.

When those who voted for Obama, just three years ago, criticize him, they might as well be criticizing themselves.

I am not doubting that Obama deserves criticism, but we, the citizens of the United States of America, put him in this position.

The majority of our country’s population chose him to lead our country.

So when those who voted for Obama criticism him, shouldn’t they look in the mirror and criticize themselves?

For those who don’t like Obama as president and did not vote, you are to blame too.

Use your voice! Voting is a right and a privilege that everyone needs to exercise.

When people get voted into office, we hold some responsibility too.

Many people criticized Bush, and still do, but he would not have been our president if a large portion of Americans had not voted for him.

On the state scale, Pat Quinn is our governor. He is in his position because we, the people of Illinois, voted him there.

For anyone who does not agree with the things the governor has been doing, we have to remember that we elected him.

Most political figures get into their positions because WE put them there.

We have the right and privilege to put our opinion into who gets to run our country, state, county and city.

We have to take advantage of that right.

Even as college students, we can be affected by those who are leading the country, and even Charleston.

Charleston has an election tomorrow, and those who take office can influence the way things are done on this campus and in the town.

The drinking age in Charleston was changed by city officials from 18 to 21. This is something that is important to college students.

Other drinking ordinances are also passed by the city council, so if students want to complain about the ordinances in Charleston, then they need to get out and vote on who is put in the positions to make decisions.

We are able to have an influence on who runs our city and our country. Instead of complaining about the people in office, we need to do something about it and use our voice when voting time comes.

Abby Allgire is a senior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

Feature Photo: All smiles

Feature+Photo%3A+All+smiles+

Dominique Jones, a senior industrial technology major, is recognized Thursday for her upcoming graduation during the Minority Affairs Banquet in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. Awards and scholarships were given out duri