Coalition to discuss smoking

The Eastern Tobacco Coalition will discuss the risks of smoking and the free air initiative during the Charleston city council meeting today.

Jim Friesma, substance abuse coordinator of the Health Education Resource Center, said the free air initiative at Eastern requests students to smoke in the designated areas on campus and seeks to diminish the amount of smoke throughout campus.

“We are asking students to go to the designated smoking areas,” Friesma said.

Friesma said the coalition will inform the council about the dangers of secondhand smoke and how the coalition is taking the initiative to limit smoke throughout campus.

“We are trying to prevent second-hand smoke on campus,” Friesma said.

The coalition will inform the council about the importance of living a healthy lifestyle.

The designated smoking areas are 15 feet away from buildings on campus, he said.

“The free air initiative is more of a suggestion then a requirement,” Friesma said.

If a student is caught smoking in an undesignated area, there are consequences such as a referral to the Office of Student Standards, though the initiative is not actively enforced, Friesma said.

Also, the council will vote on the allowing the closure of streets in Charleston for the fourth annual “Kick Butts” Anti-Smoking Run/ Walk.

Friesma said the walk is to inform students and residents about the importance of a smoke-free environment.

On other matters, the council will vote on approving the final development plan for the Garfield Planned Unit Development.

In a letter to the council, the developer said the apartment complex would have one-bedroom apartments that will create a home-like environment for students.

The apartment complex would be located at the vacant lot north of Garfield Avenue.

The council will also vote on amending the water and sewer rates for Charleston and Eastern, said Mayor John Inyart.

If the new ordinance is passed Eastern will pay $11.21 per 1,000 gallons. Eastern currently pays $10.72 per 1,000 gallons, which are paid by Eastern in a bulk rate.

Also, the council will vote on amending the city budget for fiscal year of 2010 and 2011.

Inyart said the amended budget does not add expenses and only allocates money in different funds.

The council will meet at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall on 520 Jackson Avenue.

Elizabeth Edwards can be reached at 581-2812

or [email protected].

Coalition to discuss smoking

Coalition to discuss smoking

Mayor Inyart talks about the hours for trick’or’treating this year at the city council meeting September 21, 2010 at city hall.(File Photo