Editorial Cartoon: Skippy all over the world

The Central Illinois Feminist Film Festival is back for its fourth year and students who have submitted a film have the opportunity to be recognized.

English professor Robin Murray said the festival, which was started in 2008, was designed to promote an understanding of how issues related to gender, age, race, economic status, sexual identity and nationality affect women’s lives and the communities in which they live in.

“The festival also highlights this years Women’s History and Awareness Month (WHAM),” Murray said. “This year focuses on how women and the environment are reflected by our choices for festival film screenings.”

From 2 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday in the Dounda Fine Arts Center in the Arts Lecture Hall there will be screenings of the top ranked film submissions of the Central Illinois Feminist Film Festival.

During the screenings, the winners for first, second, third place and honorable mention will be announced. All prizes including monetary awards will be presented

The submission deadline was March 1 and the film must be no longer than 60 minutes and be originally created.

Murray said there are four main criteria that the film should exhibit and candidates must follow at least two of the criteria.

The film must have an emphasis on gender and or social justices, link local and global issues, be created by a person of an underrepresented group in the media the film should be made by people from the central Illinois area.

“Although we accept submissions from everyone we would really like to see more submissions from independent and student filmmakers from Eastern Illinois University, high schools and members of central Illinois,” Murray said.

Murray said the Central Illinois Feminist Film Festival began as a spin off of the Women’s Studies Program “Gender and Popcorn” Film Series.

As a women’s sub-committee, women such as Murray met and discussed a more focused approach to highlighting the work of professional women filmmakers and also student and independent work with a feminist edge.

The festival will be a three-day event starting today at 6 p.m. in the Doudna Lecture Hall.

The screening today is of the professional film, “Taking Root: The Vision of Wangari Maathai.”

The film tells the story of Kenyan Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Wangari Maathai.

At 3:30 p.m. on Thursday in the Doudna Lecture Hall there will be a screening of the professional film “Frozen River.”

“We hope this festival will showcase the work of independent filmmakers from diverse backgrounds who embrace the mission of our Women’s Studies Program,” Murray said.

All events are free of charge.

Sierra Teague can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Editorial+Cartoon%3A+Skippy+all+over+the+world+

Shelley Holmgren/The Daily Eastern News