Hip-Hop dominates charts with generational music

Fans and performers of Hip-Hop gathered in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union 7th Street Underground Feb. 16 for a contest to show their Hip-Hop music appreciation and skills.

Their appearance represented the undeniable recent success and popularity of the urban genre of music. Perhaps for the music taste of college students; Hip-Hop is the new Pop music.

Daniel Arthurs, a professor of music theory and composition at Eastern, said Hip-Hop broke its way into mainstream America in the early 1980s through the rise of Gangsta’ rap artists like the group N.W.A.

Eastern’s campus provided a unique competition for fans of the exploding music style to express their love for it. The “So You Think You Can Rap” contest gave a sophomore, communication studies major named Darius Holland, an opportunity to perform his rhymes on the mic.

Performing the song “Lady in my life,” Holland drew inspiration from his favorite hometown artist, Kanye West.

Holland agreed with the premise of Hip-Hop becoming the new Pop music for college students.

“Hip-Hop has truly crossed over to all cultures and is taking over,” Holland said.

The success on campus is easily observed through events like last spring’s concert headlined by Young Money and Grammy nominated artist, Drake.

University Board Chair Krystina Lamorte, led the committee with the job of picking an artist for the spring concert.

“Students chose Drake through surveys done in the Union and later on Facebook,” Lamorte said.

The Drake concert sold more than 3,300 tickets and became the best-selling spring concert in Eastern’s history.

Some of the bands for this spring’s concert include The Roots, who are one of the most successful Hip-Hop groups of all time, and Mike Posner with The Far East Movement who takes Hip-Hop beats and mixes it with a unique Pop sound.

With artists such as Lil Wayne dominating charts with every released album the sheer popularity and success of Hip-Hop cannot be denied, but is it truly the Pop music?

According to Lil Wayne on his pre-prison documentary, “The Carter,” his hopes for his upcoming album “Tha Carter IV,” is to sell 5 million copies the first week.

Critics may think this prediction to be exaggerated however Lil Wayne’s “Tha Carter III” sold more than one million copies the first week.

With Lil Wayne’s year-long prison term, “Tha Carter IV” is one of the most anticipated albums of all time, and not just in the genre of Hip-Hop.

Mark Rubel, an instructor and audio director of the Eastern music department, agrees that Hip-Hop may well be on top.

“Hip-Hop and the newer form that’s called R&B are the dominant music of this time,” Rubel said.

Hip-Hop has truly made it to the pinnacle of the music world with five of the top 10 hot 100 Billboard tracks featuring Hip-Hop artists like Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Chris Brown and Waka Flocka Flame.

The sheer popularity is evident with events such as the recent Super Bowl performance by the Black Eyed Peas or the overwhelming 10 Grammy nominations Eminem received this year.

With the tremendous success of Hip-Hop, can it be the voice of a generation like the Beatles or Nirvana?

The style and genre of Hip-Hop truly is poetry and according to Arthurs, “When is there a better time for poetry than in college?”

Seamus Riley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Hip-Hop dominates charts with generational music

Darius Holland, a sophomore communication studies major, participates in “So You Think You Can Rap” Feb. 16 in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union’s 7th Street Underground. (Danny Damiani