Facilities prepares for summer projects

Facilities Planning and Management is working to improve the drainage issues because of flooding in several of the residence buildings including Taylor and Andrews Halls on Sunday night.

Fixing this problem is on a list of things the department plans on doing from now to the beginning of the fall semester.

Gary Reed, the director of Facilities Planning and Management, said the flooding was caused by ground water leaking into the buildings.

The problem of flooding on the sidewalks will also be addressed. The sidewalks around the Doudna Fine Arts Center and the Life Sciences Building will be a main focus this summer, Reed said.

Reed said the other problems that will be fixed depend on the budget allowed to facilities.

“We know where our problem areas are. As funds and time allow us, we’ll go out there and do priority jobs this summer,” Reed said. “Hopefully by the start of fall semester you’ll see a bit of improvements on the sidewalks.”

Facilities will also start cleaning up from the winter months in the next few weeks, Reed said. They will sweep up the sand and clean up the debris from the ice storms. The tree limbs that were broken will also be cleaned up.

The bushes and trees around campus will also be pruned. Ground crews will start getting flowerbeds around campus ready and performing minor campus preparation.

“Our master gardener gets really excited this time of year,” Reed said. “He’ll start ordering his plants from the nurseries.”

The major landscaping will not take place until late spring. The grounds department has a summer full of landscaping jobs planned.

“The main concentration will be to restore the area where we put in our new steam trench for our renewable energy center that came from east of Greek Court and into campus,” Reed said.

Facilities will also be establishing the new green space between Klehm Hall and the Life Sciences Building.

They will be planting new trees around campus and along the Panther Trail, Reed said.

Gardens around campus will also be planted. The planting should start within a few weeks.

“We always have a championship looking campus during the summer thanks to grounds and their work on the gardens,” Reed said.

Samantha McDaniel can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

Facilities prepares for summer projects

Facilities prepares for summer projects

Brian Inskip, a pipe fitter for A & R Mechanical, cuts a piece of metal to help run piping between the old steam plant and the new renewable energy center Sept. 30, 2010 near the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.(Jordan Boner