Student Center gives study tips personalized to learning style

As students prepare for midterm week, the Student Success Center gives study tips and tricks for Eastern students.

Taisha Mikell, the associate program coordinator, said the way students study depends on their learning style.

Some students are hands-on learners, auditory learners or visual learners, Mikell said.

Auditory learners typically learn best when listening to their professors or saying their notes out loud, while visual learners learn best when reading their notes or handouts before exams.

Kinesthetic, or hands-on learners, learn best with the hands-on approaches such as labs or projects and must take many study breaks because they get easily distracted.

Mikell said repetition is the key for studying the material no matter what type of learner a student is.

She said the more a student sees the material, the better he or she will do on the examination.

Also, studying the material in several different ways such as utilizing the textbook or the notes for the course will help, Mikell said.

In general, students should study free from distractions in a quiet space, Mikell said.

Booth Library contains 11 study rooms where students can study by themselves or in a study group.

Mikell also said she does not think students utilize their professors enough.

A student should ask insightful questions about the examination during class and during the professor’s office hours, she said.

Mikell went on to say study groups are tools to use, depending on what type of learner a student is.

Some students need the interaction with others who are studying the same material as them.

She said students should start studying the first day of the semester.

Mikell said students are welcome to take an assessment at the Student Success Center to figure out what type of learner they are.

The Student Success Center website has a list of several different study tips and tricks that could help students, Mikell said.

“We do have a list of tutoring services on the student website for students if they are interested,” Mikell said.

Elizabeth Edwards can be reached at 581-2812

or [email protected].

Student Center gives study tips personalized to learning style

Senior communications major Brittany Chionis and senior early childhood education majors Alyssa Sterkowitz and Lindsay Wiesbrock use a study room Monday in Booth Library. “We like to talk while we study, so we come in here,” Chionis said.(Kimberly Foster