Local men cook for a cause

Men in the community cooked for children of domestic abuse Saturday.

The Children’s Advocacy Center of East Central Illinois sponsored an event titled “Men Who Cook” where 37 men cooked at the Worthington Inn in Charleston to help raise funds for the center.

The local men cooked a variety of food items, such as cinnamon rolls and shrimp fettuccine alfredo.

The audience sampled the men’s cooking and then voted on the best chef in four separate categories, which were appetizers, entrees, side dishes and desserts.

Robert Wochner, a physician at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health System, participated in the event with his own version of cinnamon rolls.

Wochner described the event as “good fun” and he said this event is a great opportunity to help support children in need.

He said he chose to make cinnamon rolls because he has been making bread since he was in high school.

At the end of the night, prizes were awarded for the best dish in each category and an overall winner was chosen based on the total points.

George Edwards won the overall competition with his version of bread pudding.

The Will County Children’s Advocacy Center was established in 1995 to minimize harm in times of family crisis.

The center helps children under age 18 who have been sexually or physically abused.

Pam Riddle, executive director of the center, said she believes the center made more than $2,000 at the event.

“It’s a great opportunity for good food and good people,” Riddle said.

She said the center plans to make this an annual event and that this year’s chefs have already said they will cook next year.

Riddle said the center supports 225 families and offers them free services. She said the center needs donations from the community to survive.

Elizabeth Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Local men cook for a cause

Local men cook for a cause

Jeff Waters (left) serves some of his championship-winning pulled pork barbecue during the Men Who Cook event hosted by the Child Advocacy Center of Eastern Illinois on Saturday at The Worthington Inn. Waters’ barbecue won the pulled pork division at last