Feature Photo: On your mark

The Apportionment Board will continue its discussion on the University Board Special Event’s spring 2011 budget request at today’s meeting.

During last week’s meeting, the AB approved student government’s COSGA and Pantherpalooza requests for a combined total of $4,519.

Otis Seawood, a senior family consumer science major, has been the special events coordinator for three years.

Seawood gave the AB three different budget options with the highest costing $13,234.96.

The AB currently has $31,441.55 in its reserve, but if the re-allocation is approved that will leave the AB’s funds lower than they would like.

There is currently no funds in Special Events’ budget, because their budget was spent for its fall events.

“What if another group comes and asks for money,? said Katie Bosch, a member of the AB, during the last meeting.

That was one of the major questions asked throughout Seawood’s presentation.

Ashley Hoogstraten, the chairwoman of the AB, told the other members of the board to go out and talk to Eastern students and see how they feel about it since the money was taken from the activities fee that Eastern students pay.

“We are only allotted so much,” Hoogstraten said.

Seawood said that this was the time to diversify the events his committee puts on.

“We don’t just want to be known for Up All Night’s,” Seawood said during last week’s meeting. “We are trying to diversify.”

Seawood proposed six programs for the spring semester: Dinner and a Movie, Motown Night Part 2, UB Rush Hour: Lucky Charms, a video game night, an Easter egg hunt, and Spring Fling.

“I would not cut Spring Fling,” he said. Spring Fling is also known as “Last Blast” and is the final event for the year.

There will be no new business. Apportionment Board will meet at 7 p.m. today in the Arcola-Tuscola room.

Nike Ogunbodede can be reached at 581-2812 or

[email protected].

Feature Photo: On your mark

Feature+Photo%3A+On+your+mark+

Runners take off from the blocks Friday during the preliminaries of the men’s 60 meter hurdles in the Lantz Field house during the EIU Early Bird Meet. (Danny Damiani