Charleston music profile: Dear Chicago

While the band members of Dear Chicago are spread all across Illinois, their common love for the music they create and the city they love makes the distance between them seem trivial.

It takes some people all of high school and half of college to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

David Hersrud, a junior mass communication major and lead guitarist of Dear Chicago, knew what he wanted to do for nearly as long as he can remember.

“Everyone was playing little league baseball and stuff, but I didn’t want to do that. I wanted to rock out and play guitar,” Hersrud said.

The band consists of David Hersrud and Steve Hansen on guitar, Jon del Prado on vocals, Mike Cleary on drums and Richie Porta on bass.

They have all been in bands before, so this is nothing new. What is new to them is being in a band where they’re all the best of friends, which Hersrud feels makes their band that much better. Their genre of choice is pop punk or “easycore.”

Cleary and Hersrud had played before Dear Chicago formed, and when Cleary was looking for another guitarist Hersrud fit the bill perfectly. Just like that, Dear Chicago was formed.

“The first show we played went perfectly, we didn’t screw up a single time. We knew we were on to something from then on,” Hersrud said.

Dear Chicago has created itsfirst CD titled “Lock up your daughters,” which was released this past summer.

The songs are targeted at a younger audience as they deal with many problems that youths today face. They are already hard at work on their second, currently untitled, album.

Dear Chicago has already set up a recording company called Prestige Recording, which has recorded bands such as The Ship Captain Crew, Regalia and several others.

They have hopes to get signed in the future, but they are just taking it slow at the moment.

“We have to shop for labels if we’re going to get signed, it’s the best way to go about it,” Hersrud said.

With their energy devoted to recording a new album, doing shows has fallen to the wayside, though that is only temporary.

“When you see us we’re going to rock your socks off, so I’d suggest you bring an extra pair of socks,” Hersrud said.

Jonathon Posch can be reached at 581-7944

or [email protected].

Charleston music profile: Dear Chicago

Charleston music profile: Dear Chicago

Submitted photo Pop-punk band ‘Dear Chicago’ features (from left to right ) Richie Porta, Jon del Prado, Mike Cleary, David Hersrud and Steve Hansen. Hersrud, a junior mass communication major, is the group’s lone Eastern student.