Feature Photo: Bake sale

The day after Thanksgiving, there’s more to do than simply digesting yesterday’s feast and rehashing the big game with loved ones. For many Americans, it’s time to hit the stores and officially launch the holiday shopping season.

Savvy shoppers looking for a great deal aren’t the only ones anticipating Black Friday. Criminals look forward to the holidays just like everyone else, but for a very different reason. They’re hoping to brighten their own season – and line their pockets – at your expense by stealing your identity, your purchases or even your cash.

So while you’re marching through the mall on your festive mission, remember to keep in mind some very important shopping safety tips.

While in stores

* Be aware of what’s going on around you while holiday shopping. The person standing a little too close behind you in line at the checkout may not just be in a hurry; he or she may be trying to peep over your shoulder to catch a credit card or PIN number.

* Don’t leave tempting items like bags of merchandise or wrapped packages in plain view within your vehicle. Stow them in the trunk or somewhere else out of sight. Crooks are more likely to break into a vehicle if they can see the potential loot in it.

* Shop smartly. Don’t go alone and if you must shop at night, park your car in a well-lit area, and remember where you parked (so you don’t look like you’re lost and an easy mark).

Protect your identity

Of Americans who have shopped or made a bank transaction online, 87 percent are concerned about the security of their personal identifying and financial information, according to a survey by the Identity Theft Resource Center. Yet, data shows that most identity theft still occurs in very mundane, offline ways, like having your wallet or mail stolen or your trash picked through.

Don’t let your guard down to identity thieves. Follow these identity theft safety tips to protect your identity while you’re out:

* Leave your Social Security card at home or in a secure place; never carry it with you while shopping.

* Never permit a store clerk to take your credit card out of your direct line of sight.

* Carry only the credit cards you absolutely need, and make sure you have a list of the account numbers, PIN numbers and customer service phone line in a safe place at home. That way, if your wallet is lost or stolen, you’ll be able to quickly notify the card companies.

Feature Photo: Bake sale

Feature+Photo%3A+Bake+sale+

Amanda Zumwalt, a sophmore elementary education major, Sharon Walker, a senior music education major, and Greg Sainer, a junior communication studies major, sell homemade items for Kappa Kappa Psi, a national honorary band fraternity, in Doudna Monday. (