Seniors play well in final weekend

The Eastern volleyball team’s season has come to an end, as the Panthers will be missing out on the Ohio Valley Conference tournament by one spot. The Panthers finished the season tied with Tennessee State for seventh in the conference.

Season’s end, the Panthers improved both over last year and as the season went along. The team only won three conference matches last year, compared to seven this season. They also lost five of their first six matches before reeling off a streak in which they went 6-4 in OVC matches and 7-4 overall.

In Friday’s match against Tennessee Tech, senior outside hitter Alex Zwettler posted 16 kills and 11 digs for her 50th career double-double as a Panther. The 16 kills also lead all players on the court.

Fellow senior outside hitter Erin Hake trailed only Zwettler among all Panthers with 14 kills.

Senior middle blocker Jorie Dieter, who was honored earlier this year as the OVC Defensive Player of the Week, led all players on the court with five total blocks.

Junior libero Brittany Wallace tied for the lead with 12 digs.

Junior setter Chrissie Albers assisted on 36 of the 43 kills. Albers also posted three kills on four total attacks without an error for a .750 attack percentage.

The Panthers played in Jacksonville, Ala. in their final match of the season against Jacksonville State Saturday. The seniors shined again as Hake led all players on the court with 15 kills.

Senior outside hitter Kelsey Orr, who was sidelined with injuries in the middle of the season, was right behind Hake with 14 kills for the Panthers.

Zwettler posted nine putaways for Eastern on Saturday while digging 15 Gamecock attacks. She lead all players on the court in digs.

Albers had another big day on Saturday, as the setter assisted on 47 Panther kills against Jacksonville State.

Around the OVC

In the final weekend of OVC play, Austin Peay won twice, as the Lady Govs beat Tennessee State and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.

Jacksonville State picked up a pair of OVC wins, downing both Southeast Missouri and Eastern in four sets each.

Murray State swept Eastern Kentucky before being swept by conference leader Morehead State.

Tennessee Tech beat the Panthers before losing to SEMO.

Conference-leading Morehead State picked up a pair of three-set sweeps against Tennessee-Martin and Murray State.

Tennessee-Martin lost to Morehead State before beating Eastern Kentucky.

Eastern Kentucky lost twice, falling to conference-leading Morehead State and Tennessee-Martin.

Tennessee State lost twice to Austin Peay and SIU-E.

SEMO lost to Jacksonville State on Friday before beating Tennessee Tech on Saturday.

SIU-E lost to Austin Peay on Saturday and beat Tennessee State on Sunday.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Seniors play well in final weekend

Seniors play well in final weekend

Reynae Hutchinson, a freshman outside hitter, bumps the ball against Austin Peay Nov. 5, against Austin Peay at Lantz Arena. (Danny Damiani