Art:Space

Each week in Art: Space The Verge feature a work of student art that is on display around campus. This week The Verge are getting the story behind Nicholas Walk’s untitled piece which is displayed in the Doudna Fine Arts Building.

This week’s piece is by Nicholas Walk, a studio art major. Walk said the assignment was to make picture frames and then create a relief sculpture of someone to fit into the frame.

“This project was something fun and different because usually you think of making a frame to fit the art but here we were making art to fit the frame.”

The picture itself was made with pastels, something he did on his own time. He used a photograph of a sunset from his own pool deck as a frame of reference.

Walk thought it would be an interesting challenge to try and capture the colors and shapes of the clouds during the sunset in his art.

Walk said one thing that influences his art are things that express him; things he likes. His other influences are his drive to make art that gets noticed and is not just another pretty picture on the wall.

“I just want to make art that pops out and captures the viewer’s eye to where they want to go closer and really look at it rather than just walk by and think ‘oh that looks nice.'”

Art: Space was photographed and compiled by Verge Reporter Jonathan Posch, who

can be reached at 581-7944.

Art:Space

Art:Space

“Untitled” by Nicholas Walk