Team hits its Streid

The Eastern women’s soccer team kicked off the Ohio Valley Conference tournament Thursday as the Panthers beat Eastern Kentucky, 2-1.

The Panthers and Colonels matched each other every step of the way for the majority of the first half.

Sophomore forward Kristin Germann recorded her eighth goal of the season in minute 41on a penalty kick that put the Panthers ahead of the Colonels, 1-0.

“The ball was bouncing and I ran in and the last defender hit me out of nowhere and that set up the (penalty kick),” Germann said.

The Colonels responded quickly when Carly Muller connected with Courtney Nester in minute 43, as Nester delivered the equalizing goal for EKU.

The Panthers and Colonels continued matching each other for the early part of the second half until sophomore forward Ashley Streid delivered the go ahead and game winning goal in minute 72.

“(Sarah) Rusk passed me the ball and I just dribbled it down and shot it with my right foot and it went over the goalies head,” Streid said.

It was Streid’s third goal of the season.

Streid’s goal gave the Panthers the momentum and they managed to keep the Colonels in check for the remainder of the game.

Freshman goalkeeper Jessica Taldone got the start between the crossbars for the Panthers, as Ohio Valley Conference first-team selection Kaylin Lorbert was suffering from severe back pain.

“Kaylin has really bad back issues at the moment, and she can’t be as mobile as she needs to be as a keeper,” head coach Summer Perala said.

Perala said she was impressed with Taldone.

“Taldone got the nod and she made some really key saves to keep us in the game,” Perala said. “She did well under pressure.”

The Panthers outshot the Colonels 10-9 on their way to the 2-1 tournament victory.

The Panthers will be back in action Friday, as they will battle Morehead State.

The Eagles obtained the No. 1 seed, a first round bye and the advantage of playing on their home field for the duration of the OVC Tournament because they finished in first place in the OVC regular season standings.

The Panthers and Eagles played to a double overtime scoreless draw at Lakeside Field on Oct. 8.

The Panthers extended their unbeaten streak to six games with the win.

“It gives us a whole lot of confidence going into tomorrows match-up,” Perala said.

The Panthers will take on the Eagles at 5 p.m. Friday in Morehead, Ky.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Team hits its Streid

Team+hits+its+Streid+

Sarah Rusk, a senior midfielder, tries to stop the ball Oct. 22, during Eastern’s game against UT Martin at Lakeside Field. Eastern beat UT Martin 1-0. (Danny Damiani