Big win achieved

Eastern’s volleyball team swept Ohio Valley Conference opponent Southeast Missouri State, winning by scores of 25-12, 25-16 and 25-14.

The win pulls the Panthers into a tie with OVC rival Tennessee State for the sixth place in the conference. Only the top six teams at season’s end gain entry into the OVC tournament.

The win was also the second Panther sweep of the Redhawks this year, as the Panthers won in straight sets in Cape Girardeau, Mo. The Panthers will also play Tennessee State this weekend, so their fate in the OVC is in their hands.

Head coach Kate Price said the win over SEMO was a big one, partially because of how dominant the team looked.

“They’re really young, so it’s a good win,” Price said. “It’s something where we have to keep getting better in those matches and I think we did a good job of that tonight.”

This win gives Panthers a big boost of confidence going into the upcoming weekend, said junior setter Chrissie Albers.

“We really feel confident about it (sweeping SEMO again),” said Albers. “It’s really good going into this weekend, we’re just really excited.”

Albers also said that if the Panthers just keep playing the way they did tonight, they should be in position to finish the year strong.

“The road matches will be tough (next weekend),” Albers said. “But I think if we keep playing the way we are, we’ll be fine.”

The Panthers were coming off a tough weekend where they saw two early leads slip away from them on the road.

Coach Price said that last weekend was tough, and Monday’s hard practice served to remind the team how hard they must work to hold on to leads once they get them.

“We had a pretty tough practice on Monday, and I think the girls kind of got (the idea that) it’s not acceptable and it can’t happen.”

Senior outside hitter Alex Zwettler said that the momentum from this win should carry into the weekend against Austin Peay and Tennessee State.

“Obviously it’s nice to get a good win like that, especially at home in three (sets),” said Zwettler. “It’s nice that that’s going to carry into this weekend.

Zwettler added that if the Panthers have solid practices Wednesday and Thursday, it would further increase their confidence going into the weekend.

“I think that if we get a good couple practices in Wednesday and Thursday and we keep our minds right like the way we played and came out tonight, I think we have a great chance at coming out and taking (Austin) Peay and (Tennessee) State this weekend.”

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944

or [email protected]

Big win achieved

Big win achieved

Emily Franklin, a sophomore outside hitter, and Amy Martin, a freshman middle hitter, stretch for the ball during the final set against Southeast Missouri Tuesday in Lantz Arena. Eastern beat Southeast Missouri 3-0. (Danny Damiani