Tournament bid on the line for soccer

Despite having a 4-9-1 record this season, Eastern’s men’s soccer team still has a chance to make the Missouri Valley Conference tournament.

The last time Eastern made the MVC tournament was in 2008 when it was eliminated in the first round. The loss came against Missouri State with a final score of 4-1 in favor of the Bears.

If the Panthers beat Evansville today at 7 p.m. they will guarantee themselves a spot in the tournament. With a loss the Panthers still have a chance, but they will need a win against Drake. They will also need Evansville to lose its last conference game.

Eastern is 0-4 in night games this season and 1-3 in games that are three days or less away from each other.

The Panthers are coming off a 1-0 loss against the University of Illinois-Chicago Wednesday night.

Eastern was without junior defenseman Graham Lynch, who head coach Adam Howarth called their best defensive player.

Lynch was suspended one game for being issued two yellow-cards. The two yellow-card resulted in a red-card and by NCAA rule Lynch had to sit out one game.

Howarth said getting Lynch back will be a big help to the team.

“(Lynch) is definitely going to help us in the back and get us back to full strength,” Howarth said.

The Panthers know that this is the most important game of the season.

Junior forward Ryan Child said that the team has played well this season but they have lost too many close games.

In fact, of the Panthers’ nine losses, seven of them have been by scores of 1-0.

The game will be televised on the Fox Soccer Channel. It is the only nationally televised game of the season for the Panthers.

Howarth said that with the game being on TV, the players are even more excited.

Earlier this season Lynch said that when the offense is scoring goals the Panthers are a tough team to beat.

When the Panthers score a goal in a game they are 4-1-1. If they can get the offense going they should have a good chance at a tournament spot.

Howarth said that he does not have to do much in terms of motivating the team for this game.

“A bid for the conference tournament is on the line, it should be very competitive,” Howarth said.

The last time Eastern and Evansville played, the Purple Aces won 2-0 at Lakeside Field.

Evansville is currently 5-9-1 this season and 1-4 in the MVC.

The only way Evansville has a chance to make the tournament is by beating the Panthers.

“We are very excited for this game,” Howarth said.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Tournament bid on the line for soccer

Tournament bid on the line for soccer

Mike Picinich a junior midfielder takes off to beat his oponent to the ball during the game against Bradley Oct. 20 at Lakeside Field. (Brittany Bart