Taylor Wagner to perform at Tailgating

Tailgating is an event that mainly takes place before sporting events, but when the Eastern homecoming football game comes around it is an entirely different atmosphere.

The event begins at 11 a.m. in the Panther Tailgate Park behind O’ Brien Stadium. Admittance is free and all students are encouraged to come.

Many groups and organizations from around the Charleston area come to show their support for Panther athletics.

Ryan Gilmore, director of marketing and promotions, said he expects a large crowd.

“There has been more interest this year than in previous years. “People want to tailgate and be a part of it. I think it will be a neat atmosphere.” Gilmore said.

The event will feature Mattoon area country music singer Taylor Wagner. She will be performing at noon and will play until 12:45 p.m. When she is finished, a master of ceremonies will take over for the remainder of the time.

Wagner has performed on several local radio stations and her most well-know song, “Cheater on the Loose”, has been played on radio stations across the country, according to her website taylorwagnermusic.com.

The ROTC will contribute many different stations at tailgating. They will work with the local Jimmy John’s and hand out free sandwiches. They will also put up a rock-climbing wall and provide a dog tag- making machine.

A mechanical bull will also be provided. Gilmore said this is always one of the more popular attractions. There will be a tournament held to see who can stay on the longest at 1 p.m. The winner will be recognized at the football game.

“I anticipate the mechanical bull being very popular,” Gilmore said.

Billy’s Backyard is a section in the Panther Tailgate Park. There will be free face painting along with free food.

The weather forecast for Saturday is a high of 78 degrees and scattered thunderstorms throughout the day, according to weather.com.

“All students are encouraged to come participate in the activities, rain or shine,” Gilmore said.

Tailgating is always a popular event, according to Gilmore. He said his job is to make sure everything is running smoothly.

“It’s just a general over-site of everything out there,” Gilmore said.

He said last year they had a very good turnout; however, he expects an equally as large crowd this year. Gilmore said there is going to be a few events coming back from last year, such as the mechanical bull.

“It will be a lot of fun out there, it’s definitely worth checking out,” Gilmore said.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Taylor Wagner to perform at Tailgating

Taylor Wagner to perform at Tailgating

Ryan Kubiak a sophomore athletic training major signs up to ride the mechanical bull in Billy’s Backyard before Eastern’s football game against Jacksonville State Sept. 25.(Danny Damiani