Continuing the Eastern tradition

Although Homecoming is a time for reunion, it is also a time for remembrance of those who attended the university. William Weber, vice president for business affairs, remembers fondly how he is continuing the Eastern tradition in his family.

Weber’s grandmother, Grace Van Cleve, attended Eastern both in her youth and in adulthood, studying toward a degree that would ultimately take 28 years to earn.

His mother Cindy also spent time at the university in her youth while Van Cleve, her mother, attended classes.

Both Van Cleve and Cindy grew up in Olney, just 30 miles south of Charleston.

Van Cleve, then known as Grace Chaplin, graduated from high school in 1930 and it was that fall when she first came to Eastern, then known as Eastern Illinois State Teachers College. While staying in Pemberton Hall, Van Cleve studied for her bachelor’s degree in education.

By year’s end, the effects of the Great Depression took a toll on Van Cleve, who left the university to get married in 1931 and to raise a family.

For the next 18 years, Van Cleve and her family traveled from Olney to Wichita, Kan. and Evansville, Ind., all the while, she was taking classes at Friends University in Wichita and University of Evansville.

During World War II, Van Cleve became certified as a teacher, although she was still striving to earn her bachelor’s degree, Cindy said. From there, Van Cleve began teaching fifth grade.

Van Cleve returned to Eastern in the summer of 1949 to take classes during the week with Cindy, who was about 10 years old at the time.

Cindy said she and her mother stayed with an elderly woman in her extra room right across from campus.

While Van Cleve attended classes, Cindy participated in a program with other children of Eastern students exploring the wildlife on campus.

“It was interesting, I didn’t mind it at all,” Cindy said.

She added she went along with her mother to campus because she “was young enough where I didn’t want to stay home without my mom.”

In 1959, after 28 years of pursuing her degree, Van Cleve finally had her dream actualized by earning a Bachelor of Education from the University of Evansville.

Cindy, who was in her early adulthood at the time, said the accomplishment is something she respects highly about her mother.

“She had to have a lot of fortitude,” Cindy said. “It must have been hard. She went to school for so many years.”

Weber agreed, “She was the first college graduate in the family. I’m sure it meant quite a lot to her.”

Both Weber and Cindy said Van Cleve was known for her kindness.

A testament to Van Cleve’s kindness took place while she was teaching in Olney.

Cindy said there was a young boy in Van Cleve’s class who came from a large family. Because of this, the boy often came to class dirty, wearing tattered clothes, and was cruelly teased by his classmates as a result.

Van Cleve would have the boy wash himself before class and gave him clean clothes that belonged to her son so that he would fit in, Cindy said.

“I’d often wonder where he is today,” Cindy added. “I’m sure he remembers (her kindness) though. (My mother) was kind and cared for her students.”

Weber, who has been a part of the Eastern community since 1988, said he is proud to continue his grandmother’s legacy.

“I’m sure she would have been quite pleased and proud to see that I’ve come back to Eastern and had a career here,” he said. “I’ve always had a special appreciation for the university and for the opportunity it gave my grandmother.”

Shelley Holmgren can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Continuing the Eastern tradition

Continuing the Eastern tradition

Grace Van Cleve, grandmother of William Weber, vice president for business affairs, stands on the roof of Pemberton Hall in the summer of 1931. Van Cleve, then known then as Grace Chaplin, began her academic journey at Eastern and earned her Bachelor of