Little Caesar’s Pizza robbery under investigation

The Charleston Police Department is presently investigating a robbery that took place at 9:45 p.m. Monday at Little Caesar’s Pizza.

Two black males in their early to mid 20s entered the business located at 3 W. Lincoln Ave., carrying semi-automatic handguns. Both were wearing black shirts, long pants and ski masks.

They were described as being approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall and 150 to160 lbs.

One of the suspects was further described as having a thick mustache and possibly having a scar on his lip.

The suspects were provided an undetermined amount of cash upon demand and fled the business heading westbound on foot.

Deputy Chief Dave Chambers of the police department said the investigation section is conducting interviews and collecting evidence in order to put the pieces together to catch the robbers.

“Usually what happens is that people can’t keep their mouth shut,” Chambers said. “Getting the word out to whoever may hear people talking, we would like to be tipped off onto that.”

Charleston has also seen a significant representation of motor vehicle burglaries within the last month; Chambers said at this point they do not have enough information to really know for sure if they can tie the Little Caesar’s Pizza robbery to that or not.

Chambers said many of the burglaries are associated with an increase in substance abuse and involved a group of teenage kids.

According to a press release, Crime Stoppers is profiling recent burglaries that have occurred in Charleston.

Since Oct. 1, 12 burglaries from motor vehicles and four residential burglaries have been reported to the Charleston Police Department. Two churches have also been unlawfully entered.

Coles County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of criminals in Coles County.

The department has made two arrests regarding the burglaries.

People can contact both the Charleston Police Department at 217-345-8422 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-345-8488 with any information regarding the crime.

With Homecoming Weekend soon approaching, college students are advised to lock vehicle, house and apartment doors.

Students should avoid leaving obviously valuable items in their vehicles that may entice someone to break in.

Leaving lights and a radio on while not at home is another smart way to avoid a break in.

Chambers said, most residential and vehicle burglaries are crimes where the suspect is not looking for confrontation and they choose targets where they are not planning to run across someone.

Allison Twaits can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Little Caesars Pizza robbery under investigation

A police officer speaks to employees of the Charleston Little Caesars after two armed men robbed the restaurant Monday. (Danny Damiani