Homecoming events support local charities

“Paws for Claws” and “Paint the Paw” were Homecoming spirit events that occurred on Tuesday in the Library Quad that promoted school spirit and local charities.

“Paws for Claws” or the T-shirt swap was an event that allowed students to exchange other university T-shirts for a Homecoming spirit T-shirt.

Tiffany Leschke, a graduate student assistant for the University Board, said the “Paws for Claws” promotes school spirit because the event helps stop students from wearing other university t-shirts.

The T-shirts could be new or used, but had to be school spirit shirts from another university.

Leschke said students were also allowed to donate other T-shirts, but the donation would not count toward Homecoming participation points.

Kendall Jackson,a junior family consumer science hospitality management major and homecoming chair, said the other university T-shirts will be donated to local charities. He went on to say that this is the second year of the T-shirt swap.

The Homecoming spirit T-shirts were $5 a piece and were donated by Rachel Fisher, director of student community service in the Student Life Office.

“Paint the Paw” was a Homecoming event dedicated to support local charities.

“Paint the Paw” was an event that let students paint a 13-inch stone in the shape of a paw.

The paw was five dollars and all proceeds will go to local charities.

The painted stones will be displayed around Eastern’s campus and will be auctioned off later in the week.

Alyssa Anderson, the vice chair woman of the UB and a senior psychology major, said that the “The Paint the Paw” is a creative way for students to support local charities instead of giving a plain donation.

She, also, said the event is a great way to support Eastern and allows students to be creative while demonstrating school spirit.

Anderson was painting the paw for a friend, who wanted more Eastern blue.

Many students painted the Eastern colors on the paws, while other students painted the colors of their fraternity or sorority. Some students even painted the paw rainbow colors in order to support gay pride.

Different organizations such as residence halls, fraternities, and sororities needed to donate a total of seven t-shirts in order to receive full Homecoming points for the “Paws for Claws.” The organizations, also, had to paint five paws in order to receive Homecoming points for “Paint the Paw.”

Elizabeth Edwards can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Homecoming events support local charities

Graduate adviser Chandra Golden helps sophomore undecided major Jordan Matthews at the “PAWS for Claws” shirt swap on the Library Quad Tuesday. (Kim Foster